Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tangerine

Tangerines are good.



I don't know if I ever mentioned that we have a tangerine tree.  In terms of childhood memories, it stands equal with apricots to me.  But when it comes to flavor, it takes a slight backseat.  But in January, apricot isn't around, so it's all about the tangerine.

Getting the first ripe tangerine in late December/early January is pretty great.  It is a wonderful feature that Citrus is  ripe in the dead of winter (So. Cal. edition ~50-60 F).   Michael Ruhlmann is right, citrus is a great example of the benefits of seasonal produce shopping.

We are blessed with a mature tangerine tree, so no waiting around here.  When the fruit is ready, time to dive in.  Sadly this variety is a bit "seedy", but I can't complain, because the flavor is spectacular.

Also, sadly, two of my kids are allergic to citrus.  They get a rash on there face and *other problems*.  so sad.

No comments: